

Nancy: Selena and Lillian-work obligations. Not here tonight. Robert in parking garage.

Meeting called to order 6:39. Bridget will circulate minutes and we will vote on both minutes (April and May)

1. BFAC
2. Bylaws
3. Reminder about term limits
4. Bill-community budget forum

Kelly, would you like to share a report?

Kelly: We will get the adjusted budget. Epicly long meeting tomorrow. Superintendent announcement. Questions due on Friday by city budget. (We haven't seen it yet). Not enough time. I caught all the changes for CIP in the regular, but not one.

Bill: people's sentiment about changing the board structure and term-is that analysis coming to discussion at some point?

Kelly: not tomorrow. They received the survey results. If we want to make change. For what I have seen, universal support for staggered terms. But if it's four years, staggered, three years...not as much support. Agree about change, pass resolution, goes to city council. Public hearing. Pass legislation b/c changes the city charter. Go down to Richmond to run through legislature

Bill: when does session end?

Kelly: it can. Fall of 2024. Because SB doesn't have a primary, we can talk to the register, you may have a one year, two year thing...challenge is if we don't get moving, it relies on the board to do it.

Nancy: hi Robert. Do you have any updates?

Robert: You will see tonight. The city votes tonight on their adopted budget.

Kelly: we haven't seen the superintendent's adjustments. Theoretically will that happen?

Robert: we have a draft with the super's adjustments. We have to wait until the city votes. We will pull the switch tomorrow. We will not see a lot of changes. Small savings with employee benefits, state revenue. Slight changes based on what the city manager presented for CIP. Reduction for 2024 for CIP. Not anything major happening there.

Nancy: you don't anticipate the city adding money to the CIP.

Robert: not right now...we'll see. On the the budget side. Just so you are aware, in my budget office, we are short an assistant director. One employee is in second week back from maternity leave. One person had a death in family. Staff scrambling. Superintendent announced tomorrow.

On the horizon though---we've had convos internally and with our city counterparts: collective bargaining. Right now it's the buzzword...

Ryan: it's hot!

Robert: we have to be cognizant of the impact and the manner planning fiscally. In 2024, we have an attorney and our labor negotiator, something along those lines. We at ACPS as well as our city counterparts. "Man, are we prepared? Are we preparing?"

Bill: do you have a sense of the bookends on that?

Robert: we don't. How many bargaining units will we be dealing with? Teachers? Administrators? Bus Drivers?

Kelly: I was at a training in Philadelphia of districts have done three units. Combine teachers and support staff under one umbrella. They may organize that way.

Ryan: when is that piece?

Kelly: it is supposed to happen this May

Bridget: I have a question about

Kelly: one union. Teachers, EAA. Still have a process. Pass resolution, the SB. Nobody on our board has collective bargaining. Negotiate pay raises, market rate adjustments. Pass resolution. Bargaining unit or units get certified. Bargaining committee on the management side and bargaining side.

Bill: how long?

Kelly: Washington, DC, took three years. Brand new, may take longer. EAA, wanted it yesterday.

Robert: They (EAA) are looking to get resolution. Resolution will allow for three bargaining units. I'm curious, "do you have to belong to it?"

Kelly: we are working on training and professional development. Cornell IRL did the specific training. That was the group

Bill: none of this is public input

Kelly: if you support collective bargaining, sending a note

Robert: Last thing, talking about the memo. The shared visioning, I really appreciate the shared effort to have ACPS and city of Alexandria. At end of day, one pot of money. We have to find ways to better work together. I think this memo highlights how it benefits us all to play nice in the sandbox.

Nancy: Dominic Turner the CFO (ACPS) said it looked good and had no comments. I did receive some comments from Dr. (Alicia) Hart. I did want to run through and see where we are at this point. Kathy STenzel, at our last meeting, was our primary drafter. Ryan and I. She shared with BFAC and city staff and did not receive any substantive comments or feedback. There is a joint meeting between city and ACPS on May 15 on shared service. Kathy would love to get that back to them this week. I thought we could go through the memo, go through it, and get it to the electeds next week. That's where we are at as far as process and how we got there.

I'm going to go page by page. Any comments on Page 1? Since we recommended some summit or meeting in the summer, we tried to style it as an agenda for that meeting. The first page sets out what should be the priority for that meeting. Any comments on Page 1? Anybody? Love it.

Page 2: Shared community vision, challenging the electeds to do that. Second, talk about how to really talk to the elected officials about how they tend to engage with one another and front load so that ideas don't come up at end of the year but engage.

Kelly: I like the part "the words 'side' should be removed from the lexicon

Nancy: I like the part about preparing for joint meetings. Fundamental questions you should ask, questions should you ask...Ryan and I wanted it to be more prescriptive about what goes in that meeting

Kelly: I will say that I feel like I'm in an information void in the city school subcommittee. That work and the convos happening, are they still meeting.

Nancy: they are still being held and recorded

Bill: what is the cadence? Is it once a month?

Nancy: It's once a month.

I will say that add that whatever is discussed should be

Bill: is city manager and superintendent still meeting?

Nancy: Add back in. Ask Kathy. Having a clear agenda, fundamental questions, what decisions need to be made—that is for all meetings and not just that subcommittee

Ryan: the purpose is not to give updates, but purposefully work together

Robert: when you say refer to guidance, what do you say?

Nancy: reference back to how the joint taskforces and bodies should work together. Already in the joint task force sense of recommendations. There was this joint task force, lots of recs, it could be helpful to you.

Bridget: Ryan, what did you say before work together?

Ryan: updates, purposefully work together

Jenica: what are they trying to gain for having that?

Bill: colocation—you couldn't get two council members to say it was off the table. They would not acknowledge it. Created a lot of issues.

Nancy: The board chair was saying about Chance for Change "well this is our HS strategy". And then you have the mayor saying "well, I don't know what your strategy is..."

I'm going to have Nancy add by providing liaisons or have activities that relates to those decisions that relate together, they should be sharing that information

Jenica: action items.

Robert: can you repeat?

Nancy: second bullet. Liaisons,

Robert: shift.

Bridget: get rid of that second part

Ryan: swap

Nancy: Page 3: continuation to identify priorities. Encourage the leaders to share priorities that they both share that are outcome-driven. What they want to see for these outcomes and priorities they have together. We are also encouraging the electeds to identify collaborative opportunities. What are the areas that both bodies could come together? These are the areas identified.

I added shared services. For example, teen wellness center. Kathy took that out and I'm going to ask.

Robert: Can I ask a question? Third bullet (quote)

Nancy: that is a quote from you, Robert

Robert: if we could change the word student to "youth" it is strictly in the schools as it's the citizenry

Ryan: change citizens to members of the community because that has a connotation

Bridget: because of immigration

Robert: out of school grounds...they are not students. Where is the city's part in this?

Nancy: you should think of them not just as students, but parts of the community

Bridget: connotations of youth and urban environments...

Nancy: ..used to be prerogative

Nancy: staff feel constrained. Reluctance to have open, transparent conversations. "hey, we are thinking about this..." that type of open conversations doesn't happen as much as staff would like it to. Similarly we hear from staff, there are decisions that they need the electeds to do their work. Things that have not been determined that make it hard to plan in advance. That's in this section, the "empower staff" section.

Bill: I'm assuming staff gave info

Bridget: It kind of puts them on the spot, but not as it's a recommendation from us.

Nancy: at end of the day, this is a memo from us. There might be things that we are pushing staff and electeds to do, as a priority. It hampers planning when they are not free to share ideas and what they are working on.

That is not a culture thing. We respect you, staff. We want you to have these convos with your counterpart. The electeds and the superintendent need to lead with that transparent communication is important.

Kelly: yes. The challenge with turnover is you have to constantly rebuild that culture.

Nancy: Yes. The feedback we received is that it has slipped. The exchanges in real time have slipped. "Oh you have a question." We will report back to you next time. It hampers collaboration. We are not going to have convos but "report back to each other". That is not helpful in terms of conversations and collaboration.

This last section is where Dr. Hart had a couple of comments.

This is the part where the memo has some key points: One, be clear about CIP what the expectations. This year, the city manager was saying "hey this is a 10 year CIP". You had ACPs saying "we are going to add." I don't have any judgment about what is right or wrong, but it added some conflict around the CIP.

The issue around affordability is always on the table. Both bodies are looking to bring in other resources. Not just tax dollars. Opportunities to bring those sources in. It's not just the city or the school board.

Robert: I always feel like the school CIP is like "oh we have the city CIP". If we put all the projects on the table, they are actually planning and working on a joint CIP versus "here are our city projects and you guys figure out your CIP with the rest of it."

Kelly: In Arlington, the clerk uses a running list of who is responsible for what, like a project management tool

Nancy: Dr. Hart wanted to add budget restraints (she means constraints) and "when possible" because there are changes to school leadership.

My instinct is to not except the changes.

It's not "when possible". There should be transparent communications.

IN the second, bullet, Dr. Hart had issue with "necessary" because in the CIP. I think the point is in the timeline to be necessary.

Ryan: timeline, punch list

Change to be revisit on a regular basis to assure a priority

Take a step back makes it seem like "second guessing". Just regularly revisit.

Nancy: that happens because CIP is reviewed every year

Other comment, "affordability" of not just financial aspect by the topic in "inaction". Not in an us versus them. Her point is, can we afford not to do it? She is alluding to the delayed priority.

Bridget: what does that mean?

Bill: not taking advantage of other opportunities

Nancy: I defer to Kathy, but I get her point, which is a good one. Alluding to the delayed priority.

Ryan and I will work on final, adjusted edits to Kathy.

Nancy: can I get a motion for the edits we discussed?

Bill motioned. Jenica seconded.

Nancy: Someone reached out to me about the bylaws.

Bill: Six years ago was the last time

Nancy: Michelle Rief mentioned it to me b/c she is on a committee reviewing the budget advisory committee. We raised that ever SB member appoints a member for BAC, similar to how BFAC. Michelle suggested our bylaws could be that way since the bylaws have a section on membership.

We can get to the membership thing, but I was looking at these and they looked fine.

Update the chair elect to vice chair and budget director to reflect Robert's.

What we could do is say, the members of the committee can be:

9 members, of which each school board member would have to nominate or designate. Put some responsibility on the SB.

1 member designated or nominated by PTAC to formalize that membership.

I wonder if EAA?

Kelly: that's a great idea

Bridget: great idea

Nancy: we may have someone join next year who is the EAA. Because we have parents, so to have EAA members.

BFAC members say that they serve "at the pleasure of the city council members". I would still keep the term limits.

Kelly: well that is also the policy. Limited to three, consecutive two-year terms.

Nancy: concrete way to take us up on that

Jenica: more invested

Kelly: do the appointed members from council also advise those members?

Nancy: yes

Ryan: I will say, Nancy. This goes back to two meetings. Under responsibilities, making recs to SB on budget priorities. Talked about, but never done. Process. Spot to individual nominating you.

Kelly: goes to the budget priority. Budget work session. Good for BAC to do that and do that with council. Ultimately we'd have to come up with it.

Robert: you mean the council's buy in? Do we go and sit with city council and help craft priorities? We are a component unit, but we are a big unit

Nancy: shared priorities from a higher level

Ryan: and to remember big discussions happening at the city level, housing affordability and zoning. Have major impacts on the school and the school should be a partner

Nancy: I will make those edits and t that up for them. 11 (9, 1 per SB member, 1 from EAA, 1 from PTAC and up to 6 at large)

Jenica: apparently we only have to meet quarterly

Bill: and you only have to be 75% of meetings to stay on

Nancy: points to raise before we adjourn

Ryan and Bridget, your first terms are up this June. If you wish to serve, you can reapply.

Online form. I'll send to you. It would be great to do it now.

On subject of recruitment: we would not vote on subject of leaders until next year. So think about leadership positions.

Three other things: Bill mentioned the community budget forum. We are always scrambling at the last minute, Robert. It would be helpful for our meeting in June to talk about the budget forum. BAC, along with the SB and of course, staff, to have more of a role. How do we plan? How it's advertised?

Robert: before this FY, put forth a calendar for this year.

Kelly: what I learned is the comms didn't have the dates (because Ashley Simpson Baird and I are on the communications budget liaisons)

Nancy: you will propose a budget calendar soon-ish. Don't you usually do that in June, at one of the last board meetings

Robert: that way, we will know the planned date

Nancy: school safety forum. Model we aspire to. PTAC was involved and helped with recruitment. Advertising. Stark contrast to our forum was tepid. Happy to discuss now but also mindful of time, so we can talk in June.

Robert: certain tasks

Ryan: tasks for us, too

Nancy: thank you, Bill for that

Lastly, we have to do an end of year memo. I am wondering if there is an opportunity to do a calendar.

Kelly: Robert, not sure how this snuck past us but we have a budget questions by noon

Robert: we have to put it back out by Monday. I think they hope there won't be any questions.

Nancy: the other issue that came up was the CIP work session was that it was in October prior to the super's proposal. Some of the things in flux were not discussed in that work session because CIP was not final. A couple people mentioned that it was a calendar problem. It could be an expectations problem. It came up in the work session and Dominic said "I rec that no changes be made to the calendar". I would expect that from him. What do you think in terms of the calendar?

Robert: the reality is this is the prelim presentation, subject to change later. If the overarching expectation is X, this is the draft

Nancy: if we were to make a suggestion to the calendar, it would be to move the expectations of the calendar

(to Kelly): do you want to take a look at the calendar?

There could be another opportunity to do joint work session...the CIP process is pretty truncated

Kelly: we at least got a little wiggle room from the combined funds

Nancy: if we want to make any other recs, can in the end of year memo

Kelly: we could suggest what the ultimate outcome could be, and then come up with the solution

Nancy: I would not suggest a date, but where in the process.

This is for the two of you (Robert and Kelly), are there any reflections on the budget process and pressure points this year to include in the memo?

Kelly: I feel like this year, the interim super took a lot of our suggested changes and add deletes. Robert, I know we asked a lot of questions.

Nancy: we should underscore in our memo, the enrollment, capacity and school assignment.

Ryan: especially leading into next year.

Motion to adjoin: 7:56 (Bill)